Saturday, January 11, 2014

Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat

Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat - an easy DIY tutorial on painting burlap and making easy placemats   #ValentinesDay #ValentinesDay2014 #PlaceMats #Burlap

I have a quick craft for you today -
A Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat which is ideal for Valentines Day.
Chocolate
However, this same tutorial can be used for any celebration or for everyday placemats - change the colors and the picture you are painting, and you are all set !


Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat - an easy DIY tutorial on painting burlap and making easy placemats   #ValentinesDay #ValentinesDay2014 #PlaceMats #Burlap

After I had cut my Burlap into the required size, I pulled out some strings all round as well as a few strings {the width of my lace ribbon} as shown above - I then weaved through the ribbon

Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat - an easy DIY tutorial on painting burlap and making easy placemats   #ValentinesDay #ValentinesDay2014 #PlaceMats #Burlap

Which I sealed with some Fabric Glue {the type I used, dries clear} - I only sealed the top and bottom ends of the ribbon

Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat - an easy DIY tutorial on painting burlap and making easy placemats   #ValentinesDay #ValentinesDay2014 #PlaceMats #Burlap

Used my heart shaped cookie cutter and lined them up on some acetate film, made my markings and cut the heart shapes out

Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat - an easy DIY tutorial on painting burlap and making easy placemats   #ValentinesDay #ValentinesDay2014 #PlaceMats #Burlap

All cut out and ready for use

Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat - an easy DIY tutorial on painting burlap and making easy placemats   #ValentinesDay #ValentinesDay2014 #PlaceMats #Burlap

I used the same shade pink fabric paint to start with and added some white to the leftover paint - painted the 2nd heart and for the last heart, I added some more white to the leftover paint and painted the last heart - I used a sponge and dabbed the paint onto the burlap

To seal the paint, I placed a sheet of plain, white paper underneath, as well as over the top of the hearts and used my {normal clothes} iron to heat-seal the paint permanently.

Painted Hearts Burlap Placemat - an easy DIY tutorial on painting burlap and making easy placemats   #ValentinesDay #ValentinesDay2014 #PlaceMats #Burlap

Lastly, I added an I to the first heart, using white paint, a heart shape to the middle heart and a U to the last heart - To finish off, I heat sealed the newly applied white paint again the same way, using the clothes iron.


Linking up with these parties - also see my Party List:
Tip Junkie Handmade Projects

11 comments:

  1. Very pretty Linda, I'm afraid I won't have a valentine post I'm one of those who doesn't bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Pinning:) Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, love these :) thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! Thanks for linking up to Share Your Stuff Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet idea, I love working with burlap. Good tips too, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. super cute! I love the hearts and so great you used cookie cutters. thanks for linking up to Create Link Inspire. Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Thanks for linking to last weeks Whimsy Wednesdays! I wanted to let you know I featured you today in my I Heart Valentine’s Day Craft roundup! Cute placemats!

    You can see the post here http://www.ohmy-creative.com/valentins-day/heart-valentines-day-crafts/

    Grab a button if you like and have a great day!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute and clever! I like the hearts and the lace. I love burlap crafts!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute!! Thanks for linking up at Take it on Tuesday!!
    ~ Betsy from Romance on a dime

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! Thanks for sharing tutorial!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete