Friday, February 7, 2014

Heart Attack Sandwich

Heart Attack Sandwich ~ everything you love ! #Sandwich #QuickDinner #Lunch The other day I had a nap - supposed to be a usual 1-2 hour nap, but anyway, Roy left me sleeping from 11am and I only woke up after 4pm ! Gulp !  Really ..

Therefore, dinner had to be a quick one and I came up with this sandwich. I was almost done as Dimitri walked in and asked "what is this called" - now normally I would have thrown a tantrum at a question like that, but after I started blogging, especially about food, it is a normal question asked in our house.

Without thinking I answered him with " It's a Heart Attack Sandwich " to which he looked intrigued, but not really surprised ! And then the name stuck ..

I would not advise anyone to eat something like this on a regular basis... especially people with high blood cholesterol - have I ever mentioned Cheri and I have this irritating condition? No?  Okay, we do, but she wasn't home and well, I am not really watching what I eat as I should.

Right, enough, this is anyway a real.to.die.for. sandwich !

HEART ATTACK SANDWICH

6 Large Sandwiches

INGREDIENTS:

6 Large Burger Buns or 2 Oval French Breads
6 slices Gouda Cheese
2 TB Butter
1 Large Onion, sliced
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
12 slices Shoulder or Back Bacon
12 slices Deli Salami
400g Lean Ground Beef
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce {your favorite}
12 slices Deli Thin Ham  {I like Gypsy Ham}
12 slices Mozzarella Cheese, cut into several smaller pieces {divide into 3 batches}


DIRECTIONS:

1.) Slice the Buns in half - place the bottom halves on a baking paper lined baking sheet - top each with a slice of Gouda Cheese - place under the grill {see pic below}until just starting to melt - remove and keep aside.
2.) Saute the Onion and Bell Pepper in the Butter until soft and golden - spoon mixture over the Gouda Cheese.
3.) Cook the Bacon as per your preference - place two slices, per sandwich, over the Onion/Pepper and top with a few pieces of Mozzarella - under the grill again for a minute or two - remove - place two slices of Salami over the Mozzarella.
4.) Using the same saucepan as used for the Onion/Pepper - stir-fry the Ground Beef until done - season to taste and stir in the BBQ Sauce.
5.) Spoon the Beef over the Mozzarella and add another few pieces of Mozzarella over the Beef - back to the oven - grill a minute or so and remove.
6.) Place two slices of Ham over the previous layer of Mozzarella and top with a final layer of Mozzarella - under the frill again - remove and close with the top piece of Bun.

Under the grill after each addition of Cheese
Heart Attack Sandwich ~ everything you love ! #Sandwich #QuickDinner #Lunch
The final sandwich !
Heart Attack Sandwich ~ everything you love ! #Sandwich #QuickDinner #Lunch
I had to press mine down a little and cut it in half so as to get it to fit into my mouth ;-)

Tastes as good as it looks !

Linking up with these parties - also see my Party List:
Tip Junkie Handmade Projects