Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Orange and Poppy Seed Bread

Orange and Poppy Seed Bread ~ moist with a smooth icing topping #BreadRecipe #OrangeBread #PoppySeedBread
I remember when I still used to work full time, I stopped at a filling station almost every morning on the way to work and got myself a lemon poppy seed muffin for breakfast.

Yes, I was one of those, never had {even now!} a proper breakfast since I left home after my high school years. To this day, I still love lemon poppy seed muffins, actually I'd almost always have one instead of any other kind.

So, here comes the Orange and Poppy Seed Bread - same principal, only orange instead of lemon and in a loaf form, not a muffin.


Orange and Poppy Seed Bread ~ moist with a smooth icing topping #BreadRecipe #OrangeBread #PoppySeedBread
I have never seen any orange/poppy seed muffins in the stores, therefore I will be making this recipe at home when I have a craving, but I would also still make and/or buy the lemon muffins as well.

The icing is really as creamy as it looks on the photo and a bit healthier because most of these loaves would have a cream cheese icing, but I used cottage cheese which is a lot lower in fat.

ORANGE AND POPPY SEED BREAD

1 medium loaf

INGREDIENTS:


3/4 cup Butter, softened
4/5 cup Caster Sugar
3 Large Eggs
2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 TB Baking Powder
Pinch Salt
2 TB Milk
2 t Orange Zest
1/4 cup Poppy Seeds


ICING:

2 - 3 TB Icing Sugar
1 TB Orange Juice
250g Smooth Low-Fat Cottage Cheese, plain
1 t Butter, melted

Mint Leaves, to decorate

Orange Zest, to decorate
Extra Poppy Seeds, to sprinkle

DIRECTIONS:

1.) Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - spray a medium loaf pan with cooking oil and line the base with baking paper.
2.) Beat together the Butter and Sugar until creamy - add the Eggs one by one, beating continuously.
3.) Sift together the Self-Raising Flour, Baking Powder and Salt - mix into the Butter mixture - fold in the Milk, Orange Zest and Poppy Seeds.
4.) Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake 40 - 45 minutes - remove from oven - leave to cool and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5.) ICING: Mix together the Icing Sugar and the Orange Juice - add the Cottage Cheese and beat until well combined - add the Butter and beat until mixed in.
6.) Spread the Icing {add more Icing Sugar if you prefer a thicker icing} over the bread and decorate with the Mint Leaves, Orange Zest and Poppy Seeds.
Linking up with these parties - also see my Party List:
Tip Junkie Handmade Projects