Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pineapple Beer

Pineapple Beer is a delicious South-African traditional drink, usually homemade !


Pineapple Beer is another South-African traditional recipe. I remember my parents {and maybe even my grandparents} making this regularly. Roy also grew up with this, but neither one of us have ever made it ourselves until recently.

We had a hot and mostly dry Summer with the temperatures only decreasing now, therefore I tried out lots of homemade recipes for all kinds of drinks. I came across a recipe for Pineapple Beer, and whilst it did not look right to me, I suddenly remembered this delightful drink from my childhood.


That opened up a whole lot of searching and reading which became very confusing after a while. One thing I can not get the grasp of, is ... this might be a beer in the full sense of being alcoholic ! I know what you must be thinking now - how could our parents {and I'm talking about the majority of South-Africans} give us alcoholic beverages?

Simple answer? No, I don't know. What I do know is that this recipe definitely did not make us tipsy, drunk or even feeling that way in the slightest. And neither did the Pineapple Beer {which, by the way, is not for sale in stores, except for some home industry shops and small stores in the country side} we had as kids.

It could very well be that the longer you leave the beer to ferment {I am talking about 5+ days}the bigger the chances are that it may turn alcoholic. Non-Alcoholic is just fine for us, and it is a delicious, refreshing drink which I will now continue to make.

Pineapple Beer ~ Delicious South-African traditional drink, usually homemade ! #SouthAfricanRecipes #PineappleBeer #Drinks

PINEAPPLE BEER

Yield about 6 liters

2 Pineapples, leaves chopped off and the peel scrubbed clean
6 Liters Luke Warm Water
5 cups White Sugar
1 cup Raisins, slightly bruised
10g (packet) Instant Dry Yeast

1.) Chop the Pineapples, peel and all, roughly.
2.) Place all the ingredients, except the Yeast, in a large plastic container - I used a 10 liter bucket.
3.) Sprinkle the Yeast over - leave a minute and then give the mixture a good stir-through.
4.) Use a piece of Tulle {or something similar} to close over the top of the bucket - secure with string or a rubber band - DO NOT CLOSE WITH A LID - as the mixture will ferment.
5.) Leave for 72 hours - stirring twice a day.
6.) Strain and bottle the beer, but only put the caps on after 12 hours - keep chilled and serve as is with ice.

Pineapple Beer ~ Delicious South-African traditional drink, usually homemade ! #SouthAfricanRecipes #PineappleBeer #Drinks