Friday, April 4, 2014

Lebanese Chicken Shawarma

Lebanese Chicken Shawarmas ~ Absolutely a taste sensation which you can not miss ! Delicious #MarinadeSauce recipe included ! #Shawarma #ChickenShawarma


We have a rather large indoors flea market close to us. I always stop at the one vendor to order a Shawarma , where the meat is roasted the correct way. We have not been to the market in some time and I was craving for a Lebanese Chicken Shawarma in a huge way.

By correct way I mean, huge pieces of meat {lamb and beef mostly} which is threaded onto a rotating spit and roasted. When you place your order the guy would then shave off some meat and you can choose from a variety of cooked and raw, vegetables to add to either a Pita or a Tortilla.

Lebanese Chicken Shawarmas ~ Absolutely a taste sensation which you can not miss ! Delicious #MarinadeSauce recipe included ! #Shawarma #ChickenShawarma
The recipe I am sharing today is based on how I would normally order mine from the vendor, with the exception that I usually order a lamb Shawarma and not Chicken.

I also had to do a bit of guessing and some internet research on how to get the flavor of the meat right. If I had decided on lamb, I would have marinated the meat longer and used our rotating spit on our BBQ outside.

But seeing as I am addicted to quick and easy recipes, I improvised a little and this is what I have come up with - one very, very tasty Shawarma indeed !

LEBANESE CHICKEN SHAWARMA

6 Shawarmas

INGREDIENTS:

MARINADE:

1 cup Plain Yoghurt
1/4 cup White Vinegar
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1 t Garlic, crushed
1 t Pepper
1/2 t Salt

750g Chicken Fillets, cut into smaller pieces
2 TB Olive Oil, divided
1 Onion, sliced thinly
2 Small Eggplants {Brinjals}, washed and cut lengthwise into thin strips
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, sliced into strips
2 Tomatoes, chopped
1 cup English Cucumber, chopped
Tahini Sauce, to taste
6 Pitas

DIRECTIONS:

1.) Mix together all the Marinade ingredients.
2.) Place the Chicken in a marinate container and pour over the Marinade - marinate for at least an hour, turning over halfway through.
3.) Meanwhile, place the Eggplant Strips on a plate and sprinkle generously with Salt - leave for an hour, pat with a paper towel until most of the water is soaked up.
4.) Heat 1 TB Olive Oil in a medium sized pan - cook the Chicken, with the marinade, until done - let rest for 5 minutes - shred finely.
5.) In a separate pan, heat the remaining 1 TB Olive Oil - saute the Onion until soft - remove and using the same pan, fry the Eggplant strips until blackened but not crispy - remove and keep aside with the Onions.
6.) You can saute the Yellow Bell Pepper as well {in the same pan}, or leave it raw - I choose to saute the Pepper strips for only a minute or two.
7.) Place the vegetables on a serving plate as per the 2nd photo, the Chicken in a separate bowl.
8.) Warm the Pitas as per the packet's instructions and make a slit.

Everyone can now choose their own fillings to fill the Pitas and add some Tahini Sauce to the center, walls of the Pita and/or top of the fillings in the Pitas.

I am totally hooked to Tahini Sauce, so I add it to almost every scoop of filling that goes into the Shawarma ;-)

NOTE: This marinade has since become my number one marinade for chicken, lamb and even fish !

Linking up with these parties - also see my Party List:
Tip Junkie Handmade Projects